I have shared them with the dietary adjustments I made, to be true to what ingredients I did in fact choose to use to make them. I have also adjusted the actual quantities of each ingredient, as I chose to do multiple batches that I could freeze and have readily onhand every morning, over the month ahead.
My goal is to 'shop' from what is currently in the freezer and the pantry, and so the recipe shared below reflects what was available to me when I was preparing them, and therefore what was used to make them. You can adjust the ingredients to what would best suit your particular dietary needs.
Here is the recipe I used, which was adapted from one I found by Edmonds Cooking, called Apple Coconut Bran Muffins....
Fruit Coconut Bran Muffins
This recipe makes 48 muffins.
6 cups of Organic Flour
4 tsp Baking Powder
4 tsp Baking Soda
8 tsp Ground Cinnamon
4 cups Wheat Bran
2 cups of Desiccated Coconut
1 cup of Organic Raw Sugar
8 Tbsp Golden Syrup
4 cups Organic Rice Milk
400 gm Butter, melted
1 cup of Stewed Seasonal Fruit (I used Stewed Feijoas which had no sugar included in their preparation).
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius. Line a standard large muffin tin with individual muffin cases.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
3. Mix into the flour mixture the bran and the desiccated coconut.
4. In a separate bowl mix together the raw sugar, golden syrup, eggs, rice milk and butter.
5. Stir the liquid mixture into the dry ingredient mixture.
6. Fold in the cup of stewed fruit. Do not over mix, stir until the ingredients are just combined.
7. Spoon portions of the mixture into the prepared muffin cases.
8. Garnish the top of each muffin with a little extra desiccated coconut for decoration.
9. Bake for 15 -20 minutes until risen and golden brown. Place on a wire rack to cool.
Prior to serving, we found it best to wrap the muffins in tin foil and reheat them in the oven for about 10 minutes, as they are extra delicious when served warm.
We have enjoyed having them alongside a pot of herbal tea and a piece of fresh fruit each morning. I hope this recipe may prove to be one that your household enjoys also.